The quarterly “Weksylia” is an international vexillological magazine in format A4, containg 28 to 36 pages. There are articles in Polish and some other languages with English summaries, reproductions of historic flag plates or flagbooks, laws on flags, actualities, miscellaneous. Five issues of 2016 are available on CD (25 Euro).

As an example we present Nr 2 of “Weksylia”

Polish Flags

From 2008 to 2012 we have publish three booklets on Polish flags (in Polish and English). In the first one on 78 pages are presented flags of the State, Armed Forces, Coast Guard, Vessels in State Service, Voivodships, and Districts (A-Ku). The second one has 80 pages with flags of Districts (Kw-Ż). The third one has 62 pages with new flags of the Armed Forces, the rest of Districts, and cities with the status of District. Each issue of “Polish Flags” is attainable on CD (12 Euro).


Katalog Weksyliów Samorządowych

Since March 2000 the Institute is publishing „Katalog weksyliów samorządowych”. Each issue contains information on flags of some 60 to 80 voivodships, districts and municipalities of Poland. There are presented pictures of the flag, and in some cases also table flag and banner, date of introduction, texts of the legal documents, proportions, shades of colours, symbolism. Each issue of “Katalog” is attainable on CD (15 Euro).



Flag of the Duchy of Teschen

Prezentacja Flagi Księstwa CIeszyńskiego

Opublikowany przez Cieszynlove na 31 marca 2017

Polish symbols

Polish symbols

Coat of arms

The first example of the coat of arms is on the majestic seal of the king Przemysł II, dated 1295.

In the result of Krewa union (1385) between the Kingdom of Poland and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania have been introduced the new coat of arms of the united countries. The sheild was quartered, having in the 1st and the 3rd the arms of Poland (Orzeł Biały – the White Eagle), and in the 2nd and 4th the arms of Lithuania (Vitis – the Pursuit).

From 1573 to these arms were added inescitheons with the personal arms of the Polish Kings. Paralel to the arms of the Polish-Lithuanian were in use arms of the Kingdom of Poland, ie. the white crowned eagle in the red field. Only his artistic shape was changing according to the changes in the art. Below you can see some examples.


When after 123 years of partitions between Russia, Austria and Prussia Poland as an independent state was resurrected, on 1 August 1919 the historic White Eagle was restored as the national coat of arms. His shape was similar to those used at the end of the XVIII century.

In December of 1927 the new form of the coat of arms was enacted. The author, architect Zygmunt Kamiński was not acquainted with the heraldic rules and made some grave errors. He has made crown solid, without clearance between the fleurons and made eagle’s legs white instead of yellow (gold).

In 1956 the Polish Government in Exile (London) has placed the closed crown on the eagle’s head, but has not changed the shape of the eagle.

From 1944 to 1989 the communist government retained the former shape of the eagle, but has remowed the crown. The arms of 1927 were reintroduced (with minimal changes) in 1990.

National colors

Polish national colours, white abr red stem from the coat of arms. They were enacted on 7 February 1831 as colours of the arms of Kingdom of Poland (white eagle on red field) and of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania (white knight and his horse on red field).

The colors of white and red have been on 1 August 1919 recognized as Polish national colors, and formed the first Polish national flag in proportions of 5:8. From 1919 to 1927 the red of the flag was quite dark, from 1928 to 1980 it was cinabar red, and since 1980 is a bit darker red.